Jefa Latina Event: Self Care Through Food (Recipes)
At Mama Milly's, we believe that self-care goes beyond pampering yourself—it starts with the food you consume. We've partnered with JEFA LATINA to explore the profound impact of nutrition on your overall well-being and learn how to harness the potential of wholesome ingredients to support a vibrant and balanced lifestyle.
Practice self-care with good nutrition:
- Practice Mindful Eating.
- Prioritize a Balanced Diet.
- Eat Only When You're Hungry.
- Limit Sugar and Refined Carbs.
- Nurture Your Gut.
How can you achieve this?
- Take a Multivitamin Every Day.
- Smart Swaps- swap sodas for seltzers with lo-cal fruit, full fat ice creams for blended frozen foods
- Hydrating- from water and food intake
- Increase fiber intake
- Incorporate Probiotics
- Meal or ingredient prepping— it’s easier to eat better when healthy options are readily available
Here are recipes that taste great and are also really healthy- balanced nutritionally, texturally, and in flavor... take care of yourself by eating delicious food!
Indulge in the refreshing flavors of the Mediterranean with this vibrant and zesty tabbouleh salad. We switch it up and use Quinoa for a protein-filled, gluten-free option and add extra herbs, olives, and feta for mediterranean twist. Bursting with wholesome ingredients like fresh herbs, tangy lemon juice, and nutty quinoa, this dish is a perfect balance of textures and tastes. Tabbouleh is not only delicious but also incredibly nutritious, making it an excellent choice for those seeking a healthy and flavorful meal. Prepare to be transported to sun-drenched lands as you savor the tantalizing combination of flavors in every bite of this salad.
For the salad:
1 cup quinoa
2 cups boiling water
1 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
½ cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
1/2 cup Kalamata olives, sliced or chopped
1 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
2-3 small seedless cucumbers, diced
1 small red onion, finely diced
2 medium tomatoes, diced
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup Mojo Garlic Sauce
1 teaspoon Veggie Blend
Salt and pepper to taste
For garnish (optional):
Fresh mint leaves
- In a pot, add the quinoa to boiling water. Let the
- Once the quinoa is ready, fluff it with a fork to separate the grains. Let it cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, add the chopped parsley, mint leaves, dill, olives, cucumber, feta cheese, red onion, tomatoes, and quinoa.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, veggie blend, and mojo Pour the dressing over the bulgur mixture and toss gently to combine, making sure all the ingredients are well coated.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Add more lemon juice, olive oil, salt, or pepper to suit your preference.
- Cover the tabbouleh and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Before serving, give the tabbouleh a good stir. If desired, garnish with fresh mint leaves, sliced cucumber, and lemon wedges for an extra touch of freshness.
- Enjoy this vibrant tabbouleh as a side dish or a light and healthy main course. Serve it alongside pita bread or as a refreshing accompaniment to grilled meats or roasted vegetables.
Note: Tabbouleh tastes best when served fresh, but it can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Transport your taste buds to the aromatic world of Middle Eastern cuisine with these succulent and flavorful chicken kebabs. Marinated in a blend of fragrant spices, tangy lemon juice, and creamy yogurt, these kebabs are a delightful combination of tender chicken and enticing flavors. Grilled to perfection, they are a perfect addition to any gathering or a delightful weeknight meal. Get ready to savor the irresistible taste of these juicy chicken kebabs that will leave you craving for more.
For the marinade:
1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
½ cup plain yogurt
3 tablespoons Mojo Garlic Sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon Middle Eastern 7 Spice Blend
Salt and pepper to taste
For the kebabs:
Wooden or metal skewers
Red onion, cut into chunks
Bell peppers, cut into chunks (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, mojo, lemon juice, ME7 spice mix, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well to create a smooth marinade.
- Add the chicken cubes to the marinade and toss to ensure they are well coated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight, to allow the flavors to develop.
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for about 20-30 minutes to prevent them from burning on the grill.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. If using an oven, preheat it to 425°F (220°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Thread the marinated chicken pieces onto the skewers, alternating with cherry tomatoes, chunks of red onion, and bell peppers if desired.
- Place the kebabs on the preheated grill or on the prepared baking sheet if using the oven.
- Grill or bake the kebabs, turning occasionally, for about 12-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and has a slight char on the edges.
- Once cooked, remove the kebabs from the grill or oven and let them rest for a few minutes.
- Serve the chicken kebabs hot, garnished with fresh herbs such as parsley or cilantro if desired. They can be enjoyed on their own or served with warm pita bread, tzatziki sauce, or a side of roasted vegetables.
Note: Feel free to customize the kebabs by adding additional vegetables such as zucchini, mushrooms, or eggplant to the skewers. The cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the chicken pieces, so adjust accordingly to ensure they are cooked thoroughly.